LSO Forum - Lone Star Overland: Cast Iron Run 2018, 3/2-3/4 - Overland / Expedition Events - LSO Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 12, 2020, 05:06:49 PM

Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  LSO Forum
|-+  Overland/Expedition General Forum
| |-+  Overland / Expedition Events
| | |-+  Lone Star Overland: Cast Iron Run 2018, 3/2-3/4
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Lone Star Overland: Cast Iron Run 2018, 3/2-3/4  (Read 3954 times)
Lone Star Overland
Administrator

• View Profile Lone Star Overland
    « on: February 15, 2018, 10:06:51 AM »

This is the first official run of 2018. Things have finally settled down from the holidays and the LSO crew is in dire need to get off the grid and get on the trails.  This LSO run is a bit unique and something we haven't done before. Yes we are going to be off the grid, but this run will be centered around cast iron cooking. The requirements for this run will be that all meals must be cooked in cast iron cookware. This can be a skillet, a Dutch Oven, Tembo-Tusk Skottle, etc. Of course this is nothing new for a few of the LSO crew, as we always cook on a Skottle or Dutch Oven. The location of this run will be in the Kiamichi Mountains and I will post up the coordinates to those that will be on joining us at a later point in time. Also, this run will have a hard cutoff of 10 rigs. As soon as those spots are claimed I will close it and start an alternate list, so sign up and reserve your spot.……and yes before I get a ton of questions about it, a Dutch Oven Pineapple Upside Down Cake will be made. LOL

For those of you that are signed up for the run, we are just a little over 2 weeks out from departure. Just a heads up, that without a doubt THERE WILL BE HIGHWAY DRIVING to get to the trail. Needless to say If you don't have a rig that can't handle highway speeds and a 3 hour trip to the trailhead from DFW, then it won't make this trip and I suggest you find a ride. Also, if you have a rig that you don't want to get "Oklahoma pinstriped" then leave it at home and find a ride. I will do my best to not take us on trails with major overgrowth, but there is always a chance for that to happen when you are discovering new trails. We will at times cross creeks with large boulders, etc., so I would make sure you have the proper skids underneath your rig. This will be primitive camping so be sure to bring all the necessary gear that you will need; water, stove fuel, liquor, etc.

I also suggest bringing your favorite weapon of choice just in case, because you never know what we will run into (ie bear, crackhead, etc). If you do bring a weapon then you either must have a concealed handgun license that is honored by OK or have an OK hunting license. If not, then don’t bring a gun or bring it at your own risk, risk getting fined and having your weapon confiscated by a Forest Ranger or Game Warden. You will need a Honobia/3 Rivers nonresident land access permit which is $85. It will be valid from the date of purchase through the end of 12/31/2018. To clear up some confusion about this, the Oklahoma Honobia/3 Rivers nonresident land access permit is required for every person in the vehicle. You can go to www.wildlifedepartment.com to purchase it online. If you can't find it after that, be sure to give me a shout. If you choose to risk it and not get it, then do so at your own risk. There are fines associated with not having it if stopped by the McMurtain/Le Flore County game warden.

I am going to take a moment and address one of my favorite topics.......CB's and what constitutes a working CB, which is a requirement for this trip. First of all, and most important, a working CB is NOT a handheld CB. Your CB must be mounted to your rig, and tuned. For those that weren’t on previous trips, handheld CB's do not get out that far and there are times when that is needed (ie. if we get separated, etc.). You can get a cheap CB down at Larry's CB shop in McKinney, TX (he is much cheaper and will give you better service than other shops in Dallas) with an antenna, coax included for around $75-$100. Larry will even tweak and tune the CB for you if you already have a CB for $20. He is typically open from 8am-8pm M-F, 8am-4pm Sat. It is best that you call him first if you are going to stop by on the weekends. Again, we have run into issue where a CB mic failed on a past runs, and as others can attest to, carrying a spare mic is a must. Every trip someone has had an issue with their mic on their CB, up to and including me. Stay away from amplified power mics, they don't get out as well. Your best bet is use a good quality standard CB mic with a retractable lanyard. Typically mics will fail right at the base (the end where you speak) due to them laying over something and the wires inside the cord will the stretch and pull away from the base. So make sure you spend another $20-$30 and pick up a spare mic at Larry's CB shop or at a truck stop.

Larry's CB Shop
    Larry Hankey
    (972) 562-6898
    1816 N. Waddill St., Mckinney, TX 75069
    Intersection of HWY 380 and Waddill St.
    radio475@swbell.net
    Hours: Mon-Fri 8am-8pm, Sat 8am-4pm

For those that want to caravan, we will meet at the Mobil in Van Alstyne @ 9am on Friday, 3/2. We will depart shortly thereafter and head North to Antlers, OK by way on Bonham and some trails along the way. We will fuel up and then eat lunch at the Burger Barn in Antlers. If you haven't had a burger from the Burger Barn then you don't know what you are missing. After we are done with lunch, then we will continue to head East towards the trailhead. We will make sure we fuel up one last time before we hit the dirt. Once we get off the tarmac, we will air down then make our way toward camp the first night. If you won't be able to caravan and want to join us later that day at camp, be sure to hit me up and I can send you the GPS coordinates of where we will camp the first night.

Here is the link for Facebook Event from our LSO FB Page:

https://www.facebook.com/events/2042174876064859/
    « Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 10:31:22 AM by Lone Star Overland » Logged
    Lone Star Overland
    Administrator

« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2018, 10:22:54 AM »

In
    - Tulip
    - Ben
    - Sina
    - Israel
    - Nathan
    - Foley
    - Clif Evans
    - Shrek

Maybe

- Jason Barr

Out

- MacMan

- Frisbee
    « Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 10:49:06 AM by Lone Star Overland » Logged
    Lone Star Overland
    Administrator

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2018, 01:17:03 PM »

Looks like Ben and Derek are out.
    Lone Star Overland
    Administrator

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2018, 01:17:57 PM »

In
    - Tulip
    - Sina
    - Israel
    - Nathan
    - Mike Foley
    - Clif Evans
    - Shrek

- Jeff Foley

Maybe
    - Jason Barr

Out
    - MacMan

- Frisbee
    - Ben
    - Derek
    « Last Edit: February 26, 2018, 01:19:29 PM by Lone Star Overland » Logged
    Lone Star Overland
    Administrator

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2018, 01:22:03 PM »

So since Ben and Derek are out, that means no, Candy Cane, Junkyard Willie, Arnold or Serge the gay hairdresser impersonations.  Also not tank stories from Derek either.  BOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!
    Zuoverlander

• View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: May 14, 2018, 11:21:20 PM »

Tulip, I am brand new to this forum as of about 15 mins ago. For that matter, I am new to overlanding but very excited to get started. I'm still in the process of setting up my rig. Nothing fancy but it'll get us out there. My question is when is the next event and are the any expos that take place in Texas. Thanks for replying,

Orlando
    Lone Star Overland
    Administrator

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2018, 10:50:06 AM »

Hey Orlando, be sure to follow us on our Facebook page and our Facebook group.  I announce all of our runs there as well as here on the forum.

Facebook Page - https://www.facebook.com/LoneStarOverland/

Facebook Group - https://www.facebook.com/groups/LoneStarOverland/

- Tulip
    Zuoverlander

• View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: May 20, 2018, 06:13:31 PM »

Tulip,

Thanks for replying. I will do just that. Definitely looking forward to getting involved with your community. We reside in South Texas (Near Corpus Christi), but look forward to getting out there. Almost complete with my rig build. Kudos on the LSO mention on "Oh, Hey There." That actually got me looking into your group.
    Lone Star Overland
    Administrator

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2018, 06:33:51 PM »

You bet. 

Great bunch of guys over at XOverland.  Kurt gave us a shout out at the premiere last year for their South America series.  What rig are you building?

You can also check us out on Instagram as well, https://www.instagram.com/lonestaroverland/
    Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
    « previous next »

SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines
    LSO Forum, Lone Star Overland: Cast Iron Run 2018, 3/2-3/4 - Overland / Expedition Events - LSO Forum - Theme by Mustang Forums